Friday, April 1, 2011

Is Euthanasia Or Suicide An Option For Disabilities?

I recently saw a current affairs program on television about a woman who had Cerebral Palsy. She was fed up with her disability, so much so, that she wanted to follow the path of euthanasia and end her life of suffering.

In case you don't know what Euthanasia is, it comes from the Greek word 'Good Death'.  The Wikipedia on Euthanasia defines it as 'the practice of ending a life in a manner which relieves pain and suffering'.

I was shocked that this woman who was able to talk fluently about her choices, had resigned to take an easy way out. Now that may sound harsh and judgemental on my part. But hearing this story reminded me of the time I also wanted to give up on my life because of:
  • extreme pain I was suffering;
  • the side effects of strong medication I was taking;
  • the emotional pain and suffering my family was going through because of my disability;
  • doctors saying I could end up in a wheelchair.
This woman's story has compelled me to write about my story, causing me to reflect on what I was going through at that time and how I just wanted to end it all. I'm so glad now, that I didn't end my life, whether it be termed euthanasia or suicide.


I have a lower back (lumbar) injury as a result of a life-threatening motorcycle accident. I broke my left leg in three places and my left arm in two places. I always say jokingly 'I learned something about motorcycles as a result of my accident. I realised you need wings to fly - because when I was hit by a car, I flew over the roof of the car and hit the ground. I couldn't fly. You need wings to do that'.

When I regained consciousness two weeks after the accident, I complained about a sharp pain in my lower back. The doctors said there is nothing wrong with my back. For years, I had x-rays, physiotherapy, chiropractic manipulation, natural therapy and many other therapies with no satisfactory relief.

Ten years after my accident I was working in my garden and my back was aching. I didn't listen to my body warning me there was something wrong. Basically I just didn't care. I was fed up with the pain. Big mistake - within hours I was in agonising pain. My wife called the doctor, who came to our house. He put me on strong pain killers and I was bed-ridden for three months. During this time the doctor kept visiting me and eventually said 'you may end up in a wheelchair'. Those are not the words you want to hear from your doctor.

Over this time I was heavily medicated and sedated. One day my Uncle Dave came and visited me. He is a very wise and caring man and I have a lot of respect for him. He had a gift that he wanted to give to me, but before he gave me the gift, he wanted to tell me something. He said 'Daryl, I know you're not well and we don't know what the future holds for you with your injury, but there is one thing I feel is really important for you to do'...

There was a long pause and I couldn't wait to hear what he wanted to say.  I respected and admired my Uncle Dave so much and always listened to his wisdom. He continued 'Your body may not be able to do the things it used to do, but... it's really important that you keep your mind active, keep thinking and developing problem-solving skills'.

He then gave me a gift, which I unwrapped between wiping away my tears of appreciation. It was a game called 'Mastermind'.

My Uncle then said 'What I suggest you do is teach your four children how to play the game, but only teach one of them at a time. This means you get some quality time with your children individually and when  they get bored, call another child  and play the game with them. That way you can play the game all day if you want and your children won't get bored playing with you'.

I followed my Uncle's advice and appreciated the time I spent with my children and  they enjoyed playing the game too.

Today on reflection, I realise the importance and the value of my Uncle's gift. It taught me to use my mind and learn how to learn new things (self learning/teaching).

I read about Stephen Hawking and his disability (a motor neurone disease known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)). The wikipedia describes what happened when Stephen found out that he had a life changing disability. This is what the wikipedia says about Stephen's realisation of his illness:

When he was young, he enjoyed riding horses and playing with other children. At Oxford, he coxed a rowing team, which, he stated, helped relieve his immense boredom at the university. Symptoms of the disorder first appeared while he was enrolled at University of Cambridge; he lost his balance and fell down a flight of stairs, hitting his head. Worried that he would lose his genius, he took the Mensa test to verify that his intellectual abilities were intact. The diagnosis of motor neurone disease came when Hawking was 21, shortly before his first marriage, and doctors said he would not survive more than two or three years. Hawking gradually lost the use of his arms, legs, and voice, and as of 2009 has been almost completely paralysed.  

What stands out to me with Stephen Hawking's story is his concern when he fell down a flight of stairs and hit his head. Worried that he would lose his genius, he took the Mensa test to verify that his intellectual abilities were intact. Stephen Hawking was more concerned about losing his 'genius' than the impending disability that would dramatically change his life.

This reminded me of the gift my Uncle gave me and how important it is to me now that I continue to keep my mind active with research, learning new skills and sharing those skills with others.

I'm so glad that I'm alive today. I'm so glad I didn't choose the easy way out by suicide or euthanasia.

It is so sad to hear that this woman I spoke about earlier, who has cerebral palsy, wants to end her life by euthanasia.

She can talk! She has a voice that reveals a mind full of knowledge and wisdom. If you focus more on your mind, filling it with knowledge and wisdom, and sharing that knowledge with others, you forget about the pain. Most importantly you can share your experience of suffering with others and help them understand the life of a person who endures the restrictions of cerebral palsy. It gives people who have cerebral palsy hope.

In my mind this is what the 'Voice For Disability' is about - encouraging people with a disability to speak out and educate the community so they will understand what are the needs and wants of the disabled.

Some of those needs and wants are:

  • to be accepted in the community
  • to be allowed to speak and be heard
  • to be able to communicate with the community
  • to have a say on how they should be treated
  • for employers not to discriminate, but to look beyond the disability and give disabled people a chance to work, based on their abilities
  • to not be patronised, but to be respected for their courage in enduring life with a disability.
This blog post was really hard for me to write and it was a challenge, because it affected me emotionally. It took me back to the hard days, when I was suffering a lot of pain along with the misinformed judgemental attitudes of others.

I'm now coming out and telling you my story. Not to glorify myself - far from it - but to share my experiences. By setting an example in standing up and speaking out, not worrying about what others may say or worrying about them discriminating against me for revealing and talking about my disability.

However we need more people like YOU to speak up for your sisters and brothers who are suffering with a disability. Disability focuses on what you can't do, but we need to focus on abilities. What you can do for yourself, the community and what disabled people can do in the workforce. Speak up and let the world know.

That is what this blog site 'Voice For Disability' intends on doing and so can you.

Please leave a comment to this blog post. I would really love to hear what you think about:
  • A disability that affects you?
  • How you feel about the way people treat those with a disability?
  • Employers who discriminate against those with a disability?
  • What changes you would like to see so that disabled people are accepted into community?
  • How disabled people can be more empowered and to live a far better quality of life?
  • What you think of this blog post and how it affects your heart and mind?

Reference links

Euthanasia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia

Mastermind Game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastermind_%28board_game%29

Stephen Hawking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

Mensa Test: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensa_International

4 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Stephen Metcalf and I'm Mr.Daryl Williams biological brother, due to the changing of his original name. I myself have a psychiatric disability called, "Bipolar Affective Disorder." I too have the same attitude that he has towards people who have all varying types of disabilities.

    It is such a privilege and indeed an honour to comment on his very passionate work of studying, researching and his desire to reach out to all people who have disabilities.

    Daryl has a passionate devoted aspiration to be an advocate to instrumentally orchestrate his theme which expresses;"Voice for Disability."

    We never choose the suffering of a disability. Some people are born with neurological genetic and/or hereditary inheritance; or later in life an acquired injury.

    My brother Daryl, has the right to represent and stand up and advocate for all suffers of disabilities. Why? He too himself has significantly suffered and been seriously traumatised when at a youthful age of 17. The injuries caused by a life-threatening motorcycle accident, he sustained multiple severe compound fractures (5) on the left hand side of his body.

    Prior to this life-threatening accident, Daryl was a fit and healthy young 17 year old until a young lad 16 foolishly did not stop or give way at a country intersection road in South Australia.

    Sometimes one has to crawl, or take one step at a time, or in some cases utilise other means to have rehabilitation physically, emotionally, and mentally. Some people choose a spiritual need to salvage and cross a seemingly psychological"mine field" relating to his/her disability in which also all others courageously take steps to regain their dignity, self-worth, acceptance, and to feel inclusive in their community.

    The outcome now regarding my brother's years of suffering with his physical disability has become incredibly self-motivated to support and to speak out on behalf of all individuals of which many persons isolate themselves.

    Daryl wants to empower, enrich and enhance these peoples' lives with the greatest need, to obtain importantly hope and a far better quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephen for your excellent comments. I really appreciate your support and expressions for people with all types of disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hear hear!!!! People with disabilities are people too. They have the right to make the same decisions us "normal people"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cass, thank you for your comment. Have you every wondered what is normal? That is a tough question.

    As you said everyone has a right to make decisions.

    Everyone has a right to be accepted in and by their communities. Every one has feels, sadness, happiness,joy and love. This encapsulates disabled and able-bodied people.

    What this blog "Voice for Disability" is trying to achieve, is to educate society with the message that disabled people have a lot to offer in our global community.

    ReplyDelete